- These incredible forests, with all their beauty and diversity, should exist just as they are - a masterpiece of nature.
- There are many forest secrets yet to be discovered. Only one percent of all tropical forest plants have been studied, yet more than 2,000 of these have already been identified as potential cancer cures. It seems unbelievable that whole forests are being lost when we have just begun to identify the plants and animals that inhabit them.
What We Can Do
- Reduce, reuse and recycle! Fewer raw materials used means fewer forests are exploited.
- Become an informed consumer! Check the source and origin of the products you buy.
- Rally and vote on topics of environmental concern and on strong leaders (or help your parents choose).
- Learn all that you can and share your knowledge with others.
- Contact a pen pal in a tropical country to better understand what life is like in these areas.
- Join a conservation group that shares your interests.
Together, we must learn to practice conservation to preserve these forests that are being destroyed at a rate of 51 million acres a year. Only then can we hope to share in their richness forever