- Common Name
- jandaya conure, jendaya parakeet
- Psittacidae (true parrots)
- Genus Species
- Aratinga (bright and macaw-like) jandaya (type of parrot)
- The jandaya conure has mostly green plumage with long blue tail feathers, an orange-red breast, and a yellow head.
- Approximately 30 cm (12 in.) in length
- Approximately 150 grams (5.25 oz.)
- Includes seeds, nuts, and fruits
- Approximately 30 days
- Clutch Size
- 3 to 5 eggs
- Sexual Maturity
- 1 to 3 years
- Life Span
- 30 to 35 years
- The species has an extremely large range in North Eastern Brazil.
- Found in semi-deciduous forest and adjacent open areas
- The global population appears to be stable with at least 10,000 mature individuals. The population is stable and is not severely fragmented.
- IUCN: Least Concern
CITES: Appendix II
USFWS: Not listed
This species is not well-studied.
These birds are not highly social but pairs and small groups may be seen feeding in the treetops together.
Jandaya conures have a tendency to spend long periods of time in their nest, even when not breeding.
Ecology and Conservation
Jandaya conures are not endangered but their population may be impacted by habitat loss and commercial hunting for the pet trade.
The U.S. Wild Bird Act prohibits the commercial import of any bird listed by CITES, including these birds and most parrots.
Austin, G. Birds of the World. New York. Golden Press, Inc., 1961.
Forshaw, J.M. Parrots of the World. New Jersey. T.F.H. Publications Inc. 1978.
Gotch, A.F. Birds - Their Latin Names Explained. UK. Blandford Books Ltd. 1981.
Marrison, C. and A. Greensmith. Birds of the World. New York: Dorling Kindersley, Inc. 1993.
Perrins, C. (ed.). The Encyclopedia of Birds. New York: Facts on File Publications. 1985.
BirdLife International. 2016. Aratinga jandaya. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2016: e.T22685707A93083946. http://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22685707A93083946.en. Downloaded on 27 November 2018.
Photo Credit: Aratinga_Jandaya_-in_tree-8.jpg. Source: Wikimedia Commons. Image by: GIANNIZZZERO. Year Created: 30 October 2007. Website: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aratinga_Jandaya_-in_tree-8.jpg. License: Public Domain.