- Common Name
- bluestriped grunt
- Haemulidae (some sources cite Pomadasyidae)
- Genus Species
- Haemulon sciurus
- Yellow tapered body with blue stripes along entire length. Rear dorsal fin and caudal fin are darkly colored. Interior of mouth is colored bright orange. Centrally cleft (forked) caudal fin.
- 20.3 to 5.6 cm (8 to 14 in.) avg; 46 cm (18.1 in.) max
- 750 g (1.7 lbs.) max
- Bivalve mollusks, crustaceans, and smaller fish
- Spawning primarily occurs from late fall to early spring
- Sexual Maturity
- 17 to 20 cm (6.7 to 7.9 in.) total body length
- Western Atlantic: Florida and Gulf of Mexico to Brazil
- 0 to 30 meters (0 - 98 ft) in tropical & sub-tropical coastal marine waters
- Global: No data
- IUCN: No data
CITES: No data
USFWS: No data
For more information about bony fishes, explore the Bony Fishes InfoBook.
Ecology and Conservation
Bond, Carl E. Biology of Fishes - Second Edition. Saunders College Publishing, 1996.
Humann, Paul. Reef Fish Identification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas. New World Publications, Inc., 1992.