- Common Name
- Genus Species
- Selene vomer
- Bright silver body is noticeably laterally compressed. Forehead is extremely blunt. Single dorsal and anal fin exhibit elongated, trailing fore parts. Caudal peduncle is truncated and narrow. Deeply centrally cleft (lunate) caudal fin.
- 15.2 to 25.4 cm (6 to 10 in.) avg; 48.3 cm (19.0 in.) max
- 2.1 kg (4.6 lbs.) max
- Small crabs, shrimp, fishes, and worms
- Western Atlantic: Maine, Bermuda, and Florida to Gulf of Mexico and Uruguay
- 1 to 53 meters (3 to 174 ft) in tropical, sub-tropical, and temperate marine coastal and estuarine waters
- GLOBAL No data
- IUCN: Not listed
CITES: Not listed
USFWS: Not listed
For more information about bony fishes, explore the Bony Fishes InfoBook.
Ecology and Conservation
Bond, Carl E. Biology of Fishes - Second Edition. Saunders College Publishing, 1996.
Humann, Paul. Reef Fish Identification - Florida, Caribbean, Bahamas. New World Publications, Inc., 1992.